Saturday, March 22, 2014

Mike Tyson Collection Black Energy Drink and Black Sex Energy Drink


Yeaaah....what? Mike Tyson has an energy drink...in Poland? That's odd, but the flavours sound great - Lime and Mint Mojito and Pitahaya-Grenadine-Lime Mojito. The wife found these at an Asian international market out of all the places. So how do they taste?

Taste

Black Energy

I decided to start with what I assumed is the "original" drink - Black Energy. The Black Energy is a lime and mint mojito, which I didn't expect when my wife told me about what she found. I pictured this as another Red Bull clone.

So did they really pull off the lime and mint flavours? Surprisingly...yes! Besides the very odd, radioactive-looking green color, this drink smells and tastes like a lime and mint mojito. In fact the mint is so well done that I kept thinking that I am chewing on fresh leaves and trust me, I know what that tastes. The lime is a bit weaker and tastes like a generic, no-name brand of lemon-lime soda (sorry, no lime-only sodas in my area to compare it to), however, does give the refreshment factor a boost and nicely complements the mint aftertaste.

The drink is sweet, but it is more of a candy sweetness than a sugary mess, and I really like candy sweetness. It does build up over time, but if you give yourself enough time between gulps, the sweetness will die down. Also, the mint aftertaste is amazing. I wish more drinks came with an added mint flavour.

Black Sex Energy


Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but this can is completely matte and feels great. If there was less text, I think it would have been an amazing design, but oh well.

So the Black Sex Energy is the Pitahaya-Grenadine-Lime Mojito. What is pitahaya? Well, that's just dragonfruit. And what is grenadine? It is a pomegranate-based syrup.

OK, so with the definitions taken care of, how does this taste? It has an odd chemical, cough syrup smell, but the taste is pretty damn good. Dragon fruit in my opinion has a very faint flavour, which here is present, but it is faint and doesn't emerge until the finish. The grenadine is fortunately (I find it very sweet...being a syrup and all) dialed down a notch, but still makes a few appearances, which gives the drink a nice, yet muted sweetness. In addition, you can actually taste the pomegranate in the aftertaste. The lime helps offset the sweetness and gives the drink a refreshing aftertaste.

Though a bit less sweet than the Black Energy at first, the sweetness builds up in a similar manner, but again, if you give yourself enough time between sips, the sweetness will die down.

The blend of these 3 flavours is very familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it. I liked it.

Energy

There are 80 mg of caffeine in each of the cans and both flavours share the same effects, which are similar to your standard can of Red Bull - sugar rush with some jitters, followed by a boost that lasts for about an hour with minimal to moderate crash depending on the state you were in when you had the drinks.

In summary, I am not afraid to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by both these drinks. I was expecting a cheap Red Bull knock-off or a super-sweet soda with caffeine, but nope, these flavours were unique and very good.

Scores:
Cost - unsure
Taste - 8.9/10 for Black Energy and 8.5/10 for Black Sex Energy
Energy - 6/10

Overall:
Black Energy - 14.9/20
Black Sex Energy - 14.5/20

1 comment: